Bristol Communication Aid Service (BCAS)
Bristol Centre for Enablement
Contact Name: Vicky Styles (Service Manager)
Service Types: AAC services
220 referrals per year
As the NHS England contract holder for the South West, BCAS are able to provide the following services to clients who meet the national service specification for referral to a specialist AAC assessment centre:
- Short term loan of equipment for evaluation.
- Provision of equipment for long term use.
- Quality assurance evaluation
- Speech and Language Therapy (this includes the services clinical lead)
- Occupational Therapists
- Clinical Assistant practitioners
- Supported by a clinical scientist from the Bristol Environment Control Service
- Equipment manager supported by a team
Permanent or Project
All incoming referrals to BCAS must be made through the clients local speech and language therapist. Referral forms can be found at https://www.nbt.nhs.uk/bristol-centre-enablement/referral-centre/bristol-communication-aid-service-referral. Local speech and Language Therapists are encouraged to call BCAS to have a pre referral discussion for cases where it is unclear if the client meets the referral criteria.